Working...

This week I started my new job. I am officially a lab monitor in the Department of Information Technology of University of Maryland University of College. So far my job consists of monitoring the lab, computers and students. I'm also required to assist any of the professors when they are having computer troubles in their classrooms and to open the whole building up when it's only me. Soon I'll be trained to administer proctored exams. The great thing is that my boss lets me do pretty much what I want during my down time. So I am getting a lot of my homework done while I'm at work. I don't mind the hours working from 4 pm to 10 pm but the only downside is Gian is working during the day. But this is good for Roxy so she's not left alone for a long time. When she gets older, hopefully Gian can switch his schedule. I am easily occupied by the internet so the time actually goes by quickly for me.

On Thursday Roxy had a rough morning. She had used her kennel to go to the bathroom in twice and when I woke up to take her out she tried to pee several times. She squatted to pee about 10 times in five minutes. I brought her inside and she continued to do it inside. I knew something was not right and suspected a bladder infection. I've had them before so I recognized what she was doing pretty quickly. Our vet on base was closed since they only work 4 days a week so I called the Japanese vet that I've heard good things about. They said I could bring her on in. Even in the car driving over there she was trying to pee. The doctor said she has an infection and put her on antibiotics. She peed on the floor after the exam and they took a sample for testing. They said no red blood cells, so no blood in the urine but later that night she did pee with blood. Since then she has been improving each day but she is still urinating more than usual. Next week I'll collect another urine sample and take it in for testing to see if it has cleared up.

Yesterday I went riding and Satoko, Gian and Roxy came along. I rode Sandy again and she was really grumpy. She has started to nip when we tighten the girth and the trainer said she bit someone earlier that day. The new horse arrived and to my surprise, it's actually a pretty nice horse. It's a big dapple gray mare named Heidi. She is probably 16 something hands and looks like a Thoroughbred. They said she is 25% Appaloosa, but she looks like a full Thoroughbred.
My ride went well but I'm having a hard time keeping my outside rein short and the inside rein lose. I always want to keep them even so I'm constantly having to readjust. I just want to glue them where they're supposed to be! Sandy gives me such a work out cause she is lazy and it's a lot of work to keep her going or try to get her to extend. In transitions I also lose her frame when she sticks her nose out and fights the bit. Soon I'll get to ride Heidi which I'm excited about. The trainer said he rode her for 30 mins that day and she bucked twice. So hopefully he'll work all the bucks out of her first.

When we got back into town we got ready to go to dinner with Laura and her husband. We went to our favorite sushi place. Of course it was delicious! Today I'm at work and not quite sure why I'm here. As far as I see, there are no classes today for my school. There was one this morning for a different university and drug testing going on. I'm here from 8-5 too with an hour lunch break that I'm going to take soon. Gian is cooking me lunch so I'll leave when it's ready. We went shopping at the BX yesterday and when we left they gave us a flyer for Labor Day. Great ... we could have bought everything today and saved money. There is a grill Gian wants to get and it's 50% off right now which is a pretty good deal so I think he's going to get it.

Tonight we're going to Satoko and Miko's hometown called Schichinohe for a festival. Tonight is the night time festival and tomorrow it's during the day. Miko's parents are dressing us up in Kimonos so it should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment