The fall semester is finally over and on Monday starts the first spring semester. I’m taking three classes in 10 weeks, so I will be plenty busy. The professors I have now is really slow on grading our work so I’m not sure yet what my final grade is in the current class I’m in.
Yesterday I attended a winter driving class on base. Gian got the information via email and I thought it would be good for me to sign up. Turns out he got the email because of my accident in December. The first hour was a PowerPoint lecture on vehicles and driving in the winter. It was very detailed and even equations were involved. More than I cared to know about weight, velocity, etc. The second hour was spent on their driving course where an instructor climbed in my car and told me what to do around the course. The class from earlier in the day pretty much tore up the course so it wasn’t that great. I was able to tear it up out there though and only pulled off some fishtailing. I didn’t slide at all though when I slammed on the breaks so I couldn’t practice breaking. After I figured out how to recover from fishtailing just fine I decided to head back and they said I could go back whenever I wanted to practice. So next good snowfall with ice I will be out there practicing how to stop and slide. Those instructors are kind of extreme. My instructor wanted me to go faster but I didn’t go any faster than 40 KM/HR. He said some people get up to 60-70 KM/HR on that small course and I told him I’d never be going that fast over this type of terrain so it’s not necessary. I need to learn how to recover over ice so I’ll just have to wait to practice. They showed me two types of breaking techniques to use when I’m sliding. Now I see why ABS is a nice feature to have!

The first snowboarding trip of this season was fun. Our gear came in from the states and Laura’s husband came over to help us put it together. I practice a few times trying to get up on my board in the living room and it was so difficult. Her husband showed me a cool trick though and that’s what I used to get up and going that day on the mountain. It’s great that I can get up but the trick I’m using to get up requires that I use mainly my right side of my body so it’s a pretty uneven workout. We started off just by walking up the slope and then riding down. Eventually it got to exhausting just to climb up because I am ridiculously out of shape so we decided to go on the lift. I wasn’t a huge fan of the lift because you have to get on the lift and travel on the lift with only one foot strapped to your board. It’s a bit awkward walking, or I should say sliding over to the lift with only one foot strapped in. The first time on the lift they slowed it down or maybe even stopped it for me to get on so that was cool. However, at the other end of the lift when it was time to get off they didn’t care to be so kind so I sort of fell off the lift and rolled down the hill. There were two options once we were at the top of the mountain. We could go down left or right. Gian stood up and started sliding to the right so he said he guessed he was going that way and bye. Satoko and I went down the left and I made it down slowly, but it one piece. Once we got down there we found Gian waiting for us and so we went inside to take a break and have some juice. I went to find a bathroom to fix my clothes, because apparently I don’t sport the right underwear for snowboarding! After we were done with our break we headed back out to get on the lift again. The lift went so much better this time and I was able to slide to the side to strap my other foot in and then just go! This time we all went down together on the left side. I did really well going down this time as well and was able to go slower, stop and a little to the left. I was exhausted by this point but thought I had it in me one more time to go again. What a bad idea! Gian and I had some pretty good falls going down this time and we were in more pain once we got to the end. We called it a day and left to go find some Ramen for lunch. The pain started pretty bad and I was not looking forward to later. That night I was in so much pain all over, but mainly the right side of my body. Of course the next day was very painful as well and the only thing that relieved me some was Epsom baths. Tylenol and Bengay didn’t seem to do anything for me. It took four days to be pain free so next time we go I am definitely taking it easier. I think Satoko and I are going again on the 31st and hopefully Laura can come too.

Tonight we’re going to the club for a going away get together. I don’t know who is going away, but they are coworkers of his. We also better be watching some Lost! I want to finish season 3 so we can borrow seasons 4 and 5 and not have to watch them online.
Tomorrow I’m not sure what we’re doing. If we don’t make plans I’ll probably take Roxy to the beach to play with the ball launcher. In the afternoon or evening we’re hanging out with Laura and her hubby at the mall. We’re going to go look at snowboarding equipment at Sports Authority and a Japanese sports shop. We’re hoping to fine helmets for snowboarding. Everyone is a little freaked about hitting their head on the snow and having an accident like Natasha Richardson. It is guaranteed that when you snowboard for the first few times that you will fall many times so a helmet would be a good thing to have. My weekend of no school is going by too fast!

1 comment:
You are like my hero! Snowboarding looks SO HARD. You go girl! Although it does come with a price right? ugh, I hate muscle pain its like impossible to sleep with.
I didnt know they had winter driving classes, that is a great idea! And I dont blame you, thats crazy to be driving 70mph in that kind of stuff, eep!
Post a Comment